Biophilic Home Design – 5 Steps to a Healthy Refuge
Did you know there is a way to reduce stress and improve well-being with a specific home design? It’s called biophilic home design and it involves using natural elements to create healthy living spaces. Research shows this type of design can help reduce stress, foster productivity, and improve our overall health.
As humans, we have an inherent need for nature. Sunlight and fresh air are essential for enhancing our feel-good serotonin levels. However, modern lifestyles often require us to spend more time indoors than we would like. Luckily, biophilic design can help us bring the positive effects of nature inside our homes. Below, you’ll find five tips to create your own biophilic home design.
BIOPHILIC HOME DESIGN INSPIRATION
Luxe Interiors + Design
BIOPHILIC HOME DESIGN – 5 TIPS TO CREATE A HEALTHY REFUGE
1. Natural light is much healthier than artificial lighting. Excessive exposure to artificial lighting can disrupt your natural circadian rhythms and negatively impact your mood, sleep, and health. Letting in natural light is easy – just open your window shades in the morning and light candles at night to sync your circadian rhythm.
2. Fresh air is essential for boosting your immune system, but indoor air pollution caused by modern living factors can have a detrimental effect on your respiratory health and overall well-being. When possible, open your windows to let fresh air flow throughout your living space.
3. Adding live plants to each room of your home can help purify indoor air, which is important because most cleaning supplies and beauty products we use are filled with toxic chemicals that linger. Succulents, air plants, and Dracaenas are all easy to maintain and make great natural air purifiers.
4. Colors elicit different moods and emotions. Neutral tones, such as earthy shades of terracotta, sage, and ivory, promote rest and relaxation, while bold colors can make it difficult to relax.
5. Wood, stone, and natural woven decor can create a calming and grounding effect. Incorporating wood furniture, stone tabletops, and natural fiber rugs is a great way to achieve this.
“Nature has a profound impact on our well-being. Bringing it into our living spaces through biophilic design can improve our physical, emotional and cognitive health.”
—Amanda Sturgeon, International Living Future Institute
WHERE TO FIND BIOPHILIC HOME DECOR
If you’re looking for biophilic home decor, Etsy is one of my favorite resources. This site has a wide variety of unique and artisanal finds. Click the image below for shoppable biophilic home decor and more.
By incorporating natural elements into your home, you can positively impact both your physical and mental well-being. Utilizing biophilic home decor can reduce stress, improve mood and creativity, and enhance cognitive function. Simply adding the natural elements of biophilic design to your living space can help you maintain a consistent connection with nature, while also reaping its many enriching benefits.
You might also like How to Refresh Your Home with Sage and Palo Santo.
Affiliate Note: By clicking or purchasing through these links, you can help support this blog and make a contribution to charity, all at no additional cost to you. Rest assured, I only feature products I genuinely love and believe you will too.
Share with a Friend
Thank you for reading and sharing the articles that resonate with you. To stay up to date with future posts, be sure to subscribe below. If you have questions or suggestions, leave a comment or drop a note. My mind and inbox are always open.
The Best Adaptogens for Healthy Skin and Hair
Various factors such as genetics, diet and lifestyle choices can have an impact on the health and appearance of our skin and hair. While genetics are unalterable, we can improve the condition of our skin and hair with nourishing adaptogens that use top-of-the-line...
Clean Fine Fragrance — Why Natural is the Way to Go
I have good news and bad news about perfumes. The bad news is that almost all the fragrances advertised today contain toxic ingredients. The good news is that I found a clean fragrance that smells as good as it is for you, and it was founded by an actress you most...
Safe and Effective Non-Toxic Cleaning Products
I’ve read a lot about the toxic effects of mainstream cleaning products. This prompted my search for the best non-toxic products to use in our home. These non-toxic cleaning products deliver excellent results without compromising the health and safety of your family...